EMBO Press journals have clear policies on the availability of materials, data and software, data deposition to public databases and data presentation. In addition, EMBO Press has several new initiatives to improve data transparency, reuse and discoverability:
- Authors are encouraged to supply the source data for their figures at submission
- Integrated Expanded View sections replace Supplementary Information
- EMBO Press conducts data integrity checks before acceptance to prevent errors entering the literature
- We are developing SourceData tools to capture machine-readable descriptive metadata from figures to promote data re-use and enhance discoverability.
- Data citation mechanisms are being developed to provide due credit to data producers.